Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Favorite Valentine's Baked Good

I love all baked goods. I mean I LOVE them ALL. So it's hard to just pick one. However the first thing that came to mind were sugar cookies. They are so simple. And the beauty is that you can cut them out as hearts and decorate them with messages for that special someone in your life. Or in my case those special someones.

Here is a basic sugar cookie recipe:

For the cookies:
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups flour
In a large mixing bowl, beat butter until soft and creamy. Slowly add powdered sugar and beat until well combined. Add in egg, almond extract, vanilla, salt and flour and continue to mix until smooth. Chill dough until firm, at least 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 375F. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
Roll out dough on a well floured surface until it is 1/4 inch thick. Cut out cookies with floured cookie cutters and carefully transfer them to the prepared cookie sheets. Bake cookies for 7-9 minutes. Cookies should NOT brown. Let cool completely before frosting.
I got this recipe from Cake and Allie. She has a lovely picture of her cookies with royal icing. They are lovely! I just wish I had the patience to decorate that intricately.
So tell me, what is your favorite Valentine's Day baked good?

1 comments:

Tink said...

I need to try this. I'm with you. I love baked goods.