Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

OUCH....

Today I took #3 to the Pediatrician for his Kindergarten health check. He knew what to expect and didn't have any feelings of anxiety, trepidation, or sadness. He knew it was something he had to do in order to attend Kindergarten.

He has watched his brothers endure the health check with anxiety, trepidation, and go into panic at the thought, just the thought of getting their shots. He also watched them as they went as rigid as a board when the nurse came in the room with the needles. I guess it is safe to say that they don't like needles. Can you blame them? They get 4 shots and a TB test with this health check up. My oldest, boy #1, went rigid with panic and was in tears before they even prepped him for the shots. The nurse even told him that she was going to bring in another nurse to pin him down so she could administer the shots. He settled down.....a little, but was still rigid which makes the shots worse, they hurt more. I always offer to get them a treat when it is over, but #1 just wanted to go home and slandered the nurse the whole way.

Boy #2 was better, but was still traumatized. He didn't go rigid but was inconsolable before, during, and after the shots. He is one of those kids who freaks out over a little bit of blood. He panics and cries when someone he cares about gets hurt (it's nice to know he really does care). When he gets his shots he cries as if someone is beating him with an aluminum baseball bat. It took us about 10 minutes to calm down from his experience before we could vacate the room and head home. He also did not want to stop for the after shot treat.

Back to boy #3....he had his shots today. He was happy go lucky the whole ride to the office. I told him if he wanted we would stop and a new shop in town called The Cupcake Shop and get a cupcake for his treat. He was all over it. The whole time we were there he was laughing, playing, and very relaxed. When the nurse came in his comment was "I really don't like shots", that's it. She prepped him and stuck him 4 times, well 5 including the TB test and he gave a little "OUCH" and had a few tears in his eyes, but was fine with in one minute of being used as a pin cushion. When we were ready to leave I asked him if he still wanted that cupcake. Silly question, he looked at me with bright eyes and a huge smile on his face and nodded his head yes. So off we went.

Boy #3 and I each had one. Don't they look scrumptious? Well, they are! This tasty tidbit is called The Penguin, it is a chocolate cupcake with a sweet vanilla bean buttercream frosting. Now isn't that worth the shots? Boy #3 thought so! I didn't even get any shots, but had to have one too. Mmm, mmm good.

15 comments:

kel said...

I need those cupcakes and I didn't even get a shot.

My daughter freaks out everytime she gets a needle.. last time two nurses and my husband had to hold her down!

Christina - Rant Rave Roll said...

I always hated taking my kids for shots. I wanted to cry for them everytime.

Tink said...

yum yum those look delicious. Way to go boy #3 you are so brave and you deserve the cup cake.

Sally's World said...

I'd take a shot to get one(or maybe 2)of those cakes!

Carrie said...

YummmmY Mummy Cupcakes! I love chocolate cake. Way to go #3. Such a Brave little man...I know you are so proud of him.

Kristin said...

We have the same issue at our house. My oldest needs a parent, the nurse & the doctor all forcefully involved to give the shot. One year she even tried to KICK the doctor! I was mortified. Some cupcakes like that would have helped us all- yum!!

countryfriedmama said...

That's a great tradition to have a treat after the doctor's visit. Miss D. would jump all over those cupcakes, and beg for more shots the next day.

Tara said...

You are a good mommy!!! cupcakes are the best band-aide ever!

monica said...

What a great treat for having shots! He has a brave boy...very good!

YaYa's Funhouse said...

I am a nurse and have given plenty baby shots. Once a little boy chased him mother around the room screaming at her that he was NOT going to get a shot. I think he was 4 yrs...no older. Before the day was over he had had all his shots due. I think about that whenever I think about children getting shots. WHEW!!

Aunt Spicy said...

Hummm....I wonder what shots I need, really, if I can get a cupcake I am up for a couple shots!!!!

Anonymous said...

Awww, I'm not looking forward to the years when they know to expect it. i'm glad that he was a trooper for you! and that cupcake definitely looks worth it!

Jenny-Jenny said...

Always amazes me how different they all are. Every kid every situation... Never the same.

Julia said...

More reasons to drive fast downtown now...Who cares if there are speed bumps? I hate chocolate these days anyhow.

Bethany said...

Those cupcakes look so yummy!What a brave little one, getting all those shots!